Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thoughts about Religion...

What is Religion?

From Wikipedia: A religion is a set of beliefs and practices generally held by a community, involving adherence to codified beliefs and rituals and study of ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction.

My Def? I would have to agree that it is a set of beliefs and practices but that it is done either with a community or as an individual. From me, I am a Catholic. Ive gone to private school since I was in kindergarten all the way through my college days. Being from a Filipino background (which has a high percentage of Catholics) added to my religious beliefs. But you can only believe for so long. It comes a point in ones life to branch out and learn other things. You have to keep an open mind while keeping firm to your beliefs. Through my life, I have met and experienced practices from the Muslim faith, the Jewish faith, Buddhism, Taoism, Wicca, Catholic, Christian, Atheists, and Agnostics. I have learned about Buddhism and have also learned and read up on the Wicca Religion. None of these have undermined what I believe. But what all of these have done is broaden my beliefs and practices. Yes I go to church on Sunday, or at least I try to. I try to be good help those in need. But I have learned also to respect nature, believe in meditation and enlightenment.

So, I would say that my religion is a foundation of beliefs influenced by other worldly experiences. There is no one true religion to me. It is a building upon the beliefs that I have with those who surround me.

No comments: