Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Technology Part 2

This is the second part of my journey into technology. Have a seat, sit back and roll with me.

"After college, it was more about what to do with my life, finding a job and getting out of debt." The first month of being fresh out of college was a satisfying time in my life. I just finished a 4 year college that started in 1996, moved all my stuff back home and enjoyed the time I had during the days to do nothing. That lasted for about a good 2 weeks or so until my mom came down on me to look for a job. It felt like that scene in FRIDAY, where Craig's dad told him, "The word of the day is JOB. J.O.B" For those of you who didn't watch FRIDAY, Craig, ICE CUBE, got fired on his day off for stealing boxes. His dad found out and wanted him to get another job. So anyway, mom tells me to go and look for a job. So I look and look. No Experience no Job. No Job no Experience. Those looking for a job knows that conundrum all too well. So, I am not sure where I saw this ad, but I went and attended a group interview in the valley. I got the job and came home excited. At dinner I told my mom, I got a job or at least a job offer. She asked me what I was going to be doing. I told her, I'll be selling knives!! haha Yup, I got an interview with this small husky ex-body builder with a neck the size of Chun Li's thighs selling knives. The thought of just getting a job exited me but I turned the job down. I guess it wasn't for me. So there I sat for the last weeks of May looking for jobs. Then, a college friend asked me to lunch in June. Her and I were in most of the same business classes and she was working as the purchasing person at LMU. We had lunch and she said that she needed help and asked me if I wanted to help. The clouds from above parted and the light at the end of the tunnel shone through. This was the job opportunity I had hoped for. Once this job started, it opened a whole new scene for me. Technology mixed with Gadgets.

It wasn't until my friend from college, who helped me get this job, left for home in Denver that gadgets started to consume my life. Since I took over, I needed some help also. So I asked Marc to come and help me out. The mixture of his knowledge and my gadget fever turned into a great devotion for all things electronic. I think Marc and I worked at LMU together for about a year or so before A/R said they were doing away with contractors. The time him and I worked, we saw lots of cool gadgets come through our way. With money coming in, we both got the Handspring Visor from Best Buy. That was one of the first PDA's that came out. In the office, we also saw, an HP Windows PDA, another first. We saw all kinds of Digital cameras, Dell's first PDA, tablet pcs, speakers, laptops and desktops. We were in heaven. We could see and get mostly anything that was on the web. It was fun living vicariously through other peoples' indulgences. As Marc moved on to bigger and better things, I was stuck in my job, but was loving every minute of it. Again there were some firsts. Saw the first iMac that looked like a lamp shade, the mac mini, gateway's tablet pc, projectors, more cameras, PDAs and mp3 players. I got / saw some ipods ipod minis dell jukeboxes and other mp3 players. It was also at this time that I started my cell phone collection and the "trying out" of various cell phone carriers. During the LMU period, I tried all the phone carriers, Sprint, Nextel, Verizon, ATT&T, Cingular, and Helio. Got all the new phones that came out, The sidekick all 4 editions of the model, Treos, camera phones, smart phones and blackberries. It was with this addiction that things got out of control. What made it out of control was the fact that I had no loans to pay off at the time and my net worth was greater than my debt. But soon, my debt would be greater then my net worth.

If I could go back in time and not "spend" as much, I would have. But since I don't have a machine that can do that, I will just look at my cell phone collection and smile. Take a look around my room and there are gadgets everywhere. Some I still have to hook up. Some that are old but still work. If I had the time and money, I would build a room dedicated to all the electronics, cell phones and gadgets that have come into my possession throughout the years. Those were the times where I came to the conclusion that I was part of the technology craze!

No comments: