Monday, June 11, 2007

Research and Weight-loss

I am not sure what is going on with me. I think I am losing my gadget-fondness. Is that even a word? Any way, since I have limited my spending, I find myself not wanting to buy anything cool. Is it because I want to not spend? Or is it because of the fact that there are no cool things to buy? I am not sure? I know for one thing, my cell phone cravings have subsided. You may ask yourself "How hard is it to stop cell phone cravings?" or "what is the big deal with his cell phone cravings?" What a freak! I Know I know! Well my obsession with cell phones could be similar to someone's obsession with shoes. How each week or every two weeks you would HAVE to buy shoes because it felt good. And if you didn't buy the shoes you would feel bad or you were determined to get those NEW Shoes regardless of what it takes. If you can relate to the shoes obsession, that is how I felt with cell phones. I NEEDED the newest model regardless of the fact that my current cell phone is in great condition. I just had to have it. So anyways, it has been a couple of weeks since I bought my last phone and I am not feeling that anxiety of getting a new phone. But then again, like the gadgets, there aren't any "cool" phones coming out. Until the iPhone rears its ugly head at the end of this month. So let us cross our fingers and hope that this obsession doesn't come back at the end of this month.

In regards to this blog, I was thinking that my overall Internet viewing has been expanding. I would limit myself everyday I get to work, to view only a couple of sites religiously. Those would be my Gmail, and 3 technology sites, and any interesting facts found on Digg. Now, I would like to thank those who comment on my blog since you give me an opportunity to read your blogs. I love reading blogs, I have always loved reading them, it was just a matter of finding blogs to read. Now that I joined the google groups, blogs are plentiful. I get to know fill my mind with other people's insight to different matters.

I was reading someone's blog and at the bottom they posted a link to this site: http://sparkpeople.com This is a site that is devoted to people who would like to lose weight and don't know how. Or they do know how, they just need the support and motivation that this site provides. Last Friday I recently joined this site. I for one, fall into the group of people who need to lose weight. All my life, maybe not when I was a baby, I have been overweight. The scale that doctors use that matches a person's height to an ideal weight MUST be changed. I think it was based off a Caucasian average male and the ideal weight. Because it says that I need to be in the 170lbs range for my height. Well, I am 5'11 and weight 257.5lbs. I weighed myself this morning! :) So by this chart, I am considered morbid or morbidly obese. I am not sure what my body fat % is, but I know that I am not all fat. I played basketball in high school and I work out 3-4 days a week with cardio mixed in. I know I have fat to lose, but I have also gained muscle. So does this chart take into account a person's build or muscle mass? I don't think so. And if someone were to say, well that this chart is just a "ruler" to see where you fall into, but I am not Caucasian, so this chart would not apply to me, correct? I am not sure who made up this chart, but I know I do need to lose weight. But to say I am morbidly obese, is that right to assume? Any ways, I have joined this website, and I am looking forward to shedding all those unwanted pounds off of this frame. Wish me Luck. and if you want to join this site too, I would recommend it. Even if you want to lose 5lbs, the people on this site are nice and supportive. Most likely because we are all in the same boat. So Good luck and eat right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want my opinion, I think all this weight stuff is bullshit. I mean, at 5"11 and 250 you'not morbidly obese. Come on !

I'm also borderline if I do the BMI. Tough luck. I'm not a thin women, but I'm pretty tall and strong, not fat. And I'm not saying that cause I'm self-conscious ;)

I've been about the same weight and heigh since I'm 13, and I'm 24 now. More or less 10 pounds I guess. As long as your healthy, don't worry too much about it.

kitten101 said...

I believe that as long as you feel comfortable in how you look then it doesnt matter what your actualy weight is! Looking and feeling good is so much more important than losing a couple of pounds. But if losing weight is going to make you feel better then go for it! And I hope it all goes well for you. But from the sounds of it you are fit and healthy and that is much more important :-D

As for the gadget obsession-I totally understand now that you have related it to shoes! I own about 50 pairs so far and always want new ones!! lol.

peace
xx

Anonymous said...

I agree with this completely, thanks for the post.